|Location||Durban, South Africa|
|Date Posted||February 17, 2022|
Sales and Marketing
Our client, a well-established Shipping Agency, based in Durban, is looking to fill the position of National Sales Manager.
The position of NSM requires the individual to effectively manage and control the sales and marketing activities on a national basis. The object of this being to ensure that the Company as a brand is promoted nationally and all vessels calling at South African Ports sail full as per the principal’s requirements and within tonnage allocated by Principals. The various trades offered by the Company to the South African market must be promoted to ensure maximum usage of all space.
- Visiting clients in all centres with local sales teams to familiarise oneself with the client base and their activities regarding the Company.
- Visit Company Branches nationally conducting joint calls with the local marketing teams to all VIP and other clients to show that that senior management is visible to our clients and relationships are formed especially with Key accounts.
- Visit Durban clients with local sales and control sales on a national basis.
- Sales reports to be submitted after Client visits.
- Sales reports will be submitted weekly by all sales reps and managers to the NSM. The NSM should check these reports and raise queries, as necessary. The NSM should also check that the minimum required number of calls is achieved by the reps and managers.
- All reports should be submitted by requested deadline.
- Call plans should be submitted by all sales staff before sales meetings indicating the calls planned for the week ahead. Sales meetings should be held during the visits in the respective branches.
- A weekly sales meeting must be held in all branches to discuss marketing matters of the week. NSM will conduct same depending in which location visited at the time. Branch managers/sales managers will conduct same if NSM is not present, Minutes to be sent to NSM.
- Telesales staff currently must submit a telesales report daily covering the required minimum of calls per day. These reports are sent to NSM to read and follow up on the daily internal sales activity. Deadline for same is to be met.
Monthly Marketing Report:
- Each branch will submit a monthly marketing report for each trade by the required deadline of each month.
- NSM is required to consolidate and submit one report for South Africa to Principals by the required deadline of each month.
- A reefer marketing report is prepared separately by the CPT team and submitted to NSM for checking and adjustments prior to sending to International Principal Trade and others including Rep Office. Deadline for this report is as per required deadline of each month.
- Pricing is controlled by Principals in conjunction with the NSM.
- A minimum mandate tariff is issued to the NSM who then formulates a local tariff and distributes to all sales staff.
- Staff are then authorised to quote based on this tariff.
- Rates lower than the tariff is referred by marketing staff to NSM for consideration. If within the mandate NSM will decide to match or not.
- If lower than mandate, then NSM will refer to Principals together with recommendations.
- Pricing is an area that requires constant attention by NSM as it is imperative that we stay competitive in the industry.
- During client visits NSM should also extract information to verify rates etc.
- Capacity or tonnage control forms a very important part of the function of NSM.
- Principals will confirm total tonnage available for use. NSM must allocate same to various branches in a manner that obtains the maximum use with highest revenue.
- Daily monitoring of the tonnage reports by NSM to ensure branches are booking within their allocations and that the overall booking situation assures him that the vessels will be full. Where bookings are low NSM is required to advise the marketing team on which areas to concentrate to improve the liftings.
- NSM must work closely with principals and Operations on issues of capacity.
- If space is scarce NSM should approach principals with a view to increase sailings and make more capacity available on respective trades.
NSM must ensure:
- Prompt response to emails.
- All freight requests responded to timeously.
- Regular follow up with clients on support.
- Adequate stats are kept.
- Close contact with marketing team management and staff.
- Complete approvals in LMS system required.
- Preparation for principal visits.
- Preparation for National sales conference.
- Market research and surveys re conducted as required.
- Any or all other sales related matters are attended to accordingly.
- Perform LMS audits to ensure all bookings are auto rated.
- Regular checks for suspicious DG cargo not declared.
Core Knowledge & Skills:
- Shipping Agency experience essential
- Graduate (in business management and/or development would be an advantage).
- Minimum 10 years' experience in a similar role.
- Track record of successful Sales Management, consistently meeting or exceeding targets.
- Strong analytical skills to Interpret Data and Generate Reports.
- Proven experience in Customer Relationship Management.
- Exceptional Verbal and Written Communication Skills.
- Excellent Problem Solving, Leadership and Customer Service Skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and navigate tense situations.
- Ability to Coach, Train and Motivate sales staff and evaluate their performance.
- Strong computer literacy (Word, Excel, Power-point, Outlook)